Way back just before Christmas (which feels like a zillion years ago, doesn’t it?!) the lovely Francesca nominated me for a Liebster Award, which is a great way to spread blog-love and entails answering & creating rather a lot of questions. It’s actually taken me so long to finish this post (it’s been in my drafts for a month now…) that in the meantime, Jess has also nominated me, and so rather than do separate posts, I’ve just answered her questions as well. Get ready to learn a LOT about me!
Okay, so the “rules” of the Liebster award are as follows:
1 – Share 11 facts about yourself
2 – Answer the 10 questions set to you
3 – Come up with 10 more questions
4 – Nominate some other bloggers to take part!
I already did a post with facts about myself some time ago, so I’ll try my best to come up with new ones!
1) My music taste is sort of eclectic. Basically I listen to country or questionable gangster rap, and very little in between. Sorry not sorry!
2) I’m quite small anyway, but I have absurdly small hands/wrists. I also have weirdly angular wrists that look broken quite a lot of the time…they’re not, I promise.
3) My favourite smell EVER is the smell of the lobby in Disney’s Beach Club Resort/Hotel in Florida. I have been trying to track it down forever (since I was 15 or so) and so when I discovered that The White Company’s Seychelles candle smells pretty much exactly identical I was VERY happy. Even happier to receive both the candle & the room spray for Christmas – thanks Santa.
4) I have a total thing for stationery (who doesn’t) and seriously stressed myself out searching for THE perfect notebooks for my modules this term. I also used to have a bad habit of buying endless beautiful notebooks, never writing in them for fear of messing them up, and then eventually losing them altogether, but luckily I’ve grown out of that.
5) I went to a girls’ school from year 7 right through to the end of sixth form and LOVED it. Weirdly the majority of my best friends now went to (different) girls’ schools too – it’s like we can sniff each other out.
6) I don’t think I’ll ever have as much fun as I did while living in halls my first year of uni. Which is sad I guess, but also means that I had the best time ever and I’m glad.
7) If I could be anyone for a week or so, it’d probably be Lena Dunham. She’s just so cool. Otherwise, my other idol in life is Kate Middleton so I’d take her too.
8) On that note, I’m utterly convinced that I’d be really good friends with Jack Whitehall. If Jack ever reads this…hit me up.
9) I adore American supermarkets and I miss Target and Trader Joe’s every single day. Waitrose helps to fill the gap, though.
10) I’m a sucker for a good documentary. Especially ones focussing on schools, for some reason, or dancers (I LOVED First Position). I am basically just really nosy.
11) I have recently become completely obsessed with nail varnishes (for once, I’m not exaggerating when I say I acquired around 35 over the Christmas period) but I’m so impatient that I always, always, without fail, mess at least one nail up within 30 minutes of painting them.
And now, the ten questions that Francesca set.
1. Why did you choose to start blogging?
It all started way way back in first year (before blogging was even cool…) when my BFF Sophie and I decided to start a blog to document our year in the States. More people started reading it than we’d ever expected and I got completely hooked. When I returned for 3rd year I didn’t wanna give up documenting my life and so this blog was born.
2. If you only had one meal left to eat what would it be?
Crispy duck pancakes, definitely. They were always a huge treat for us as kids, and became a bit of a pre-Christmas tradition when we used to go for Chinese every Christmas Eve. I’d want my fave TV chef and all-round idol, Jamie Oliver, to prepare them for me, though! For dessert I don’t think you can beat a good old apple crumble with Waitrose’s best vanilla bean custard & also a bit of vanilla ice cream – and since it would be my last meal I’d eat absolutely tons of it.
3. What beauty item can you 100%, hand on heart never live without?
Ooh, difficult. I think I’m gonna go with my shampoo/conditioner. I’m a Bumble & bumble fangirl and it’s the only beauty item I really let myself regularly splash out on. £40 on shampoo/conditioner might seem excessive but it’s so, so worth it!
4. Cats or dogs….
I swing back and forth on this ALL the time. I think I’m gonna go with dogs ’cause they’re so damn cute but I do like cats because they just do their own thing.
5. Your biggest regret of 2013?
Ooh I don’t know. I try not to regret anything or at least not to dwell on things I do regret. Cliche…but true.
6. If you had to choose between never shaving your legs again or never plucking your eyebrows what you pick?
Never plucking my eyebrows! There is nothing better than freshly-shaven legs!
7. Sum yourself up in three words…
Short attention span? Seriously, it seems to be getting shorter everyday – it’s a problem.
8. What’s your signature fragrance?
I have seriously been trying to develop a signature fragrance since forever but I don’t have the attention span! Chance au Fraiche by Chanel is my favourite daytime scent but I’m going to treat myself to Tom Ford Black Orchid next month/this month and that’s distinctive enough that it just might become my signature!
9. Tell us three things that you love about being you.
I have a whole bunch of friends on both sides of the pond. My parents have always let me do what I wanted to do (in an independent, free sort of way rather than a spoiled brat kind of way…). Somehow I found a retail job that I actually kind of love?!
10. What’s your earliest memory?
I have a notoriously bad memory of my childhood! I remember my sister being born, and I was 4 when that happened so I guess that’s pretty early.
And Jess’s questions!
1) Where did the name for your blog come from?
It’s just my first initial & surname – I think it’s actually inspired by a candle that Yankee Candle had a couple of years ago (not sure if they still do it) called Be Jolly. I struggled for ages to come up with the “perfect” name but I’m pretty happy with it now.
2) What was the last thing you ate?
A little box from my graze box called Herby Bread Basket. It was delicious.
3) What is the weirdest thing someone has searched for to find your blog?
To be honest, I don’t often get weird ones for this blog but my old blog, The Virginia Monologues, definitely got some interesting hits – “virginity monologues” was a common one and one of my faves!
4) What is the first thing you do when you get up in the morning?
It is a bit shameful, but check my phone. I like having a little scroll through twitter before I have to get up! And since I know a lot of Americans, I generally have a hilarious snapchat or three awaiting me in the morning.
5) What is the last GOOD film that you watched?
Wolf of Wall Street! I saw it the other day and it well and truly lived up to the hype even though it is seriously long.
6) What was your New Years resolution? Have you kept to it so far?
I didn’t really set official ones but I guess keeping my blog more regulated & regular (failing at that thus far) and cooking properly, which I’m doing much better at!
7) What is your ‘go-to’ song on your iPod?
Springsteen by Eric Church, or The Motto by Drake – I love them both so much and they both have so many memories attached!
8) If you could pass one law right now, what would it be?
Well, since I’ve lately been very stressed out about my (lack of) job prospects, I think I’d pass a law banning unpaid internships. It’s an issue close to my heart!
9) What is your proudest achievement?
Oh this is so nerdy but when I graduated this summer, I opened my envelope to discover that alongside my actual degree certificate, I also had a College Commendation for my contribution to the English department. It was such a nice surprise and such a nice gesture that I ended up feeling prouder of that than my actual degree…
10) Tell us an embarrassing story.
Ahaha well one day last month I managed to faint at the checkout of Iceland (my first ever visit…) so that was fairly embarrassing…
And finally, my own questions!
1 – What did you want to be when you were little?
2 – Was there a particular blog that got you into blogging? What was it?
3 – Where is somewhere in the UK you would love to visit but haven’t yet?
4 – What’s your biggest guilty pleasure?
5 – If you could only listen to 1 song for the rest of time, what would it be?
6 – Where was the first place you went on holiday?
7 – What’s your favourite month?
8 – What’s your favourite book?
9 – Describe your dream house (briefly!)
10 – What’s your supermarket of choice?
And I’ll tag…Kate, Sophie (if she has returned to blogging), Laura, Joanna, Ibbs, and anybody else that wants to take part!
Wow, this was a mega post. Congrats to anybody who got all the way through that monster – it’s taken me at least a month to write it so I forgive anyone who abandoned halfway through!